Re: 19990623: Problem making netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: "W.R. Graham" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problem making netCDF

Hi Will,

> The failure is during 'make' - items A-F are included below.  As far
> as I can tell, the -Df2cFortran flag isn't being picked up; I've
> checked CPPFLAGS with "$CPPFLAGS", and it appears to be set correctly.
> [wrg@eric wrg]$ uname -a
> Linux eric.eng.cam.ac.uk 2.0.30 #1 Tue Apr 22 10:49:45 EDT 1997 i686 unknown
>
> [wrg@eric src]$ more VERSION
> 3.4
>
> [wrg@eric src]$ which cc
> /usr/bin/cc
> [wrg@eric src]$ which gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc
> [wrg@eric src]$ which fort77
> /usr/bin/fort77
> [wrg@eric src]$ which c++
> (no path returned)

These all look OK, but the first line from the output of make

> cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c

which should be

  cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran attr.c

and indicates that you are right that the value of the CPPFLAGS
environment variable in use is "-DNDEBUG" rather than "-DNDEBUG
-Df2cFortran".

Maybe you are using csh, and you have set the CPPFLAGS shell variable,
using "set", rather than the CPPFLAGS environment variable, using
"setenv".  For example, with csh

  $ set CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
  $ setenv CPPFLAGS -DNDEBUG
  $ echo $CPPFLAGS
  -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
  $ env | grep CPPFLAGS
  CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG

shows a shell variable and an environment variable, both named
CPPFLAGS, but with two different values.  This is a cause of confusion
with csh.  From the csh man page:

  Unlike the Bourne shell, the C shell maintains a distinction
  between   environment  variables,  which  are  automatically
  exported to processes it invokes, and shell variables, which
  are not.

This is just a guess since I don't know what shell you are using, but
if it's csh, try using "setenv" to set the environment variables.  We
have added a new section on setting environment variables to the
version of INSTALL that will appear in the next release, because this
is a common cause of problems.  The new INSTALL file is available at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL

--Russ