Re: 19990621: netCDF support for variable removal?

>From: "Jessica Thomale" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 19990621: netCDF support for variable removal?

Jessica,

> Thank you for your prompt reply.  I appreciate the information about the
> NetCDF version 4 for C++.
>
> If you need help, have you thought about making it an open source project?
> I was just asking because I really want the new thread feature.  I am
> considering implementing it myself with the NetCDF source code.

That would be great; the source for netCDF has been available to
anyone from the beginning.  An open source project would still need a
good project leader, if multiple people worked on it.  Glenn had some
definite ideas of what he wanted in the new C++ implementation, which
I could describe further, if you're interested ...

I'm not exactly sure what the "new thread feature" refers to.  If you
want something like multithreaded I/O, the new netCDF 3.5 alpha
release available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-alpha.tar.Z

has the C implementation of this developed at NERSC integrated into
our sources.  The NERSC work is further documented at

  http://www.nersc.gov/~rkowen/netcdf/index.html

but it may be too platform-specific for general use on other
multiprocessor architectures.

Please feel free to implement enhancements to netCDF.  We appreciate
contributions that are in a form we could make available to other
netCDF users.

--Russ