Re: 19990521: Core Dumped on SGI machines?

Rui,

In the above message, you wrote:

>  You mean to set those variables before configure? I thought 'configure'
> will help set those variables.

The configure script can only do so much (it can't, for example, know
that you want a 64-bit build).  This is why the INSTALL file contains
the following:

    (near the top):

        Select and specify an appropriate build environment.  You
        will need a Standard C compiler (if you don't have one, then
        you probably won't be able to build this package).  Set the
        environment variables CPPFLAGS, CC, CFLAGS, FC, FFLAGS, CXX, and
        CXXFLAGS (and perhaps LIBS) to represent that environment.  The
        section marked "TESTED SYSTEMS" below contains a list of systems
        on which we have tried to build this package, the setting we
        used, and additional, important commentary (USE IT!).  Feel free
        to expand this list.

    (near the bottom):

        4.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

        5.  Set your environment variables as described above.

        6.  Re-execute the configure script.  ...

>  I know how to set environment variables, but I do not know in this case
> which variables need to be specifically set.

As far as I can recall, I suggested something like the following about
two emails ago:

    VARIABLE            VALUE
    --------            -----
    CC                  /bin/c89 -64
    CPPFLAGS            -DNDEBUG
    CFLAGS              -O
    FC                  /bin/f77 -64
    FFLAGS              -O
    CXX                 /bin/CC -64

The above might not be exactly what I suggested before, but I believe it will
work.

Please retry steps 2 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.  At
step 5 -- where the environment variables are set -- use the above
variables and values.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------