Re: 19990519: Core Dumped on SGI machines?

>From: Rui Gong <address@hidden>
>Subject: Core Dumped on SGI machines?

Hi Rui,

>  thank you for your reply. Actually the 64 bit library did not pass the
> 'make test', I have appended the output in this email. I would very
> welcome your assistance.
> Making `test' in directory
> /data/medea1/ruigong/netcdfn/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
>         c89 -c -O -64 -I.  -DNDEBUG t_nc.c
> *** Testing nc_get_var_int ...  1189 good comparisons. ok
> *** Testing nc_get_var_long ...
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>         FAILURE at line 1153 of test_get.c: value read not that expected
>  903 good comparisons.
>         ### 286 FAILURES TESTING nc_get_var_long! ###
> *** Testing nc_get_var_float ...  1194 good comparisons. ok

Use of the -64 flag for building the netCDF version 3.4 library is
only recommended on an IRIX64 platform, and does not work on a
standard IRIX platform; the examples in our INSTALL instructions only
have settings for IRIX64 using the -64 flag, because it doesn't work
on other IRIX platforms.  I don't think this is specific to netCDF; in
general, libraries built with the "-64" flag won't work on IRIX
platforms that aren't 64-bit, such as SGI's that used R4000
instruction sets; the R8000 and R10000 can run IRIX64.

I just verified that the following settings don't work
under IRIX 6.5:

    CC="/bin/c89 -64"
    CFLAGS=-O
    FC="/bin/f90 -64"
    FFLAGS=-O

resulting in an error in the "configure" script
    checking whether cross-compiling... yes
    checking for working ftruncate()... configure: error: can not run test
program while cross compiling

and similarly if CC="/bin/cc -64" is specified, on a platform for
which "uname -a" returns

    IRIX chevy 6.5 01221552 IP22

However on an IRIX64 platform, for which "uname -a" returns

    IRIX64 binnie 6.5 01221552 IP26

the settings

    CC="/bin/c89 -64"
    CFLAGS=-O
    FC="/bin/f90 -64"
    FFLAGS=-O
    CXX="/bin/CC -64"
    CXXFLAGS=-O

work fine and "make test" passes all tests.  I can't duplicate the
problem you are seeing with configure succeeding but "make test"
failing some tests. If you provided more information about your
platform and compiler versions, as specified in the "REPORTING
PROBLEMS" section of the INSTALL file, we might be able to duplicate
the problem.

--Russ