Re: 19990517: Error trying to build netcdf 3.4

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden (Flanigan Robert BA-W 678-2717),
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Robert Flanigan 505-678-2717 <address@hidden>
>Subject: Error trying to build netcdf 3.4

Hi Robert,

>       We are gettin errors on the FORTRAN part of the build of
> netcdf-3.4.  The errors we get follow:
> make  distclean
> rm    config.cache
>
> CC=/bin/c89
> CPPFLAGS=-D_HPUX_SOURCE
> CFLAGS=
> FC=/opt/fortran/bin/fort77
> FFLAGS=-w
> CXX=/usr/bin/CC
>       or
> CXX=/bin/CC           # got same errors
> configure:1373: fort77 -c -O conftest.f
> fort77: POSIX 1003.2 mandates opt level following -O; expected values 0-4,
> received: conftest.f;

Try setting the FFLAGS environment variable to

    FFLAGS="-O3 -w"

before invoking the configure script (be sure to remove config.cache
if it exists first).  We have a more up-to-date version of the INSTALL
notes that includes this suggestion at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL

--Russ