Re: 19990315: "file too big" error message: IRIX64 & Fortran 90 7.2

Dear Sophie,

In the above message, you wrote:

> > Are the files necessary in order to diagnose your problem (i.e. does
> > the program read from unit 14 before exhibiting the "file too big"
> > error)?  If it does, then would you please modify your program so that
> > it exhibits the "file too big" problem without requiring 330 MB of
> > existing files.  Note that if the "netCDF" problem only occurs in the
> > presence of 330 MB of existing files, then the problem probably isn't in
> > the netCDF layer -- but rather with the rest of your system.

> As I told you in my first message, the problem only arises when I try to
> write a field in a netCDF file such that the resulting netCDF file would
> be bigger than about 105 Mbytes:
> "It looks like the maximum netCDF file that I can create is of the
> order of 105 Mbytes. I do not understand as there
> is no file size limit on my system and I read that the netCDF file
> size limit is 2Gbytes."
> For smaller fields and smaller netCDF files everything works OK. As you
> said, the problem is probably with the rest of my system, but I really do
> not understand with what!

We've tested the netCDF library with very large files (e.g. 2Gbytes).
Does you disk have enough room for more than 105 Mbytes?  You can
discover the available free space on your disk with the "df" utility:

    $ df -k /tmp
    Filesystem             Type  kbytes     use     avail  %use Mounted on
    /dev/root               xfs  4307148  3300104  1007044  77  /

The above file partition has 1.007004 Gbytes of free space available.
If I tried to create a 1.5 Gbyte file on it, I would expect to get a
"file too big" error.

--------