Re: 19990303: pb with install of GMT on Sun Ultra5 solaris 7

>To: address@hidden
>From: Claude Dutreilly <address@hidden>
>Subject: pb with install of GMT on Sun Ultra5 solaris 7

Hi Claude,

> A. here is the standard output of uname -a:
>
> OS cythere 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>
> B. VERSION:
>
> # cat VERSION
>         @(#)VERSION     1.2  11/23/98
>
>         The Generic Mapping Tools version 3.1.1
>         Released on November 23, 1998
>
> The latest GMT version available from this site is:     3.1.1
> The latest patch is:                                    1
That's the version of GMT, but I assume you are trying to solve a
problem with netCDF, so we need the version of netCDF, in the
netcdf/src/VERSION file.  I'll assume you have the latest version,
3.4.

> C. absolute pathname of all compilers:
>
> compiler C: /usr/local/bin/gcc
> compiler c++: /usr/local/bin/c++
>
> D. configure.log (from step 6)
>
> configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran compiler
> configure: warning: Setting FC to the empty string
> configure: warning: The Fortran interface will not be built
>
> to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for /usr/local/bin/g++... /usr/local/bin/g++
> checking C++ compiler "/usr/local/bin/g++"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/local/bin/gcc -E
> checking for f77... no
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking for Fortran preprocessor... /usr/local/bin/gcc -E
> checking for math library
> checking for -lc... no
> checking for -lm... yes
> checking for ar... :
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for strerror... yes
> checking whether cross-compiling... no
> checking for working ftruncate()... yes
> checking for working alloca.h... yes
> checking for alloca... yes
> checking for st_blksize in struct stat... yes
> checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for size_t... yes
> checking for off_t... yes
> checking for ssize_t... yes
> checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
> checking for uchar... no
> checking whether char is unsigned... no
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
> checking size of short... 2
> checking size of int... 4
> checking size of long... 4
> checking size of float... 4
> checking size of double... 8
> checking size of off_t... 4
> checking size of size_t... 4
> checking for catman... catman
> checking for manual-page index command... catman -w -M $(MANDIR)
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating macros.make
> udcreating fortran/nfconfig.inc
> fortran/nfconfig.inc is unchanged
> creating libsrc/ncconfig.h
> libsrc/ncconfig.h is unchanged

It looks like this step actually succeeded.  I see no errors in the
above.  You don't need to worry about messages in the "config.log"
file, they are expected.

You should now be able to execute the "make" command to continue
building the netCDF library.

--Russ