Re: 19990303: Error Message

>To: address@hidden
>From: Dale Roblin <address@hidden>
>Subject: Error Message

Hi Dale,

> I have copied the error with the commands I used.
> This problem has not occured before.
> The system we use is a SUN Sparc 5 with Solaris, it is System V release
> 4.0
> dale@gps1>./configure --prefix=/gps12/dale/opt
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... no
> checking for acc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for CC... CC
> checking C++ compiler "CC"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
> compile conftest.c
> dale@gps1>make
>
> Making `all' in directory /gps12/dale/gmt/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
> make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `ncconfig.h'
> Current working directory /gps12/dale/gmt/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdir_target'
> Current working directory /gps12/dale/gmt/netcdf-3.4/src
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'

Unless the "configure" script runs to completion, "make" won't work,
because it depends on files that the configure script generates.

From the first line of output of the configure script:

it appears that you are attempting to build the software in a
directory in which it has been previously built, perhaps for a
different platform.  The results of that previous build are stored in
the "config.cache" file and reused by the "configure" script, so that
could be causing the problem you are seeing.

Try this:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory (the directory containing
        the INSTALL file).

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".  Don't worry if it fails.

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as described in the INSTALL
        file, or in a more recent version that includes instructions
        for how to set environment variables:

         http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL

    5.  Re-execute the configure script.  Redirect its standard output
        and standard error to the file "configure.log".  If this step
        fails -- which is indicated by error messages (not warnings) in
        "configure.log" -- then stop and send items A through E below to
        <address@hidden>.

    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect its standard output
        and standard error to the file "make.log".  If this step
        fails, then stop and send items A through F below to
        <address@hidden>.

    7.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect its standard
        output and standard error to the file "test.log".  If this
        step fails, then stop and send items A through G below to
        <address@hidden>.

    8.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect its standard
        output and standard error to the file "install.log".  If this
        step fails, then stop and send items A through H below to
        <address@hidden>.

 The following items help us diagnose installation problems:

    A.  The standard output of the command "uname -a".

    B.  The contents of the file VERSION, which is in the top-level
        source directory.

    C.  The absolute pathnames of all compilers (C, Fortran, C++) used
        in the build process (use the type(1) or which(1) utility to
        determine this).

    D.  The file "configure.log" from step 6 above.

    E.  The file "config.log", which is created in the top-level source
        directory by the configure script during step 6 above.

    F.  The file "make.log" from step 7 above.

    G.  The file "test.log" from step 8 above.

    H.  The file "install.log" from step 9 above.

Thanks.

--Russ