Re: deleting dimensions and variables

>Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:40:29 +1000
>From: Keyu Liu <address@hidden>
>To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: deleting dimensions and variables

Hi Keyu,

> Can you please post the folowing message to the netcdf user group for me.
> I have recently changed my e-mail address and the computer at UNIDATA
> address@hidden, does not recognise my address.

You can change your email address by going to

to unsubscribe under your old address and then subscribe under your
new address.  However, for questions like the one you asked, you can
just send to "address@hidden".  I've answered it below.

> Subject: compiling netcdf3.4 on SGI O2 R-5000 under IRIX6.5 using MIPS 7.2.1
>

> Has anyone ever compiled netcdf3.4 on SGI O2 R-5000 computer under
> IRIX6.5 using MIPS 7.2.1 compilers?
>
> When I tried to compile netcdf3.4 codes following the instructions
> it gave the following error messages.  I am not sure if this has
> something to do with my environment setup or with the new compilers.
> I am wondering if anyone has experienced such a problem or known the
> answers to the problem.
>

> "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 37: error(1084): invalid combination of type
>           specifiers
>   typedef int   ptrdiff_t;
>
> "/usr/include/sys/types.h", line 218: error(1084): invalid combination of type
>           specifiers
>   typedef int    ssize_t;

This problem may have been caused by having a "config.cache" file left
over from a previous build attempt on another platform when you ran
the "configure" script.  Do a "make distclean", make sure you remove
the "config.cache" file, and then run the "configure" script again,
with one of the set of environment variables we've tested under IRIX
6.5, listed below:

        IRIX f90 Note: On IRIX 6.x platforms with version 7 compilers,
        the f90 compiler accepts 'integer*1', while f77
        accepts both 'integer*1' and 'byte'. Using
        FC=f90 forces the configure script to select 'integer*1'.
        The resulting *.inc files and test configurations will then
        work with either compiler.

    --------

    CC=/bin/c89                 # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m
    CPPFLAGS=
    CFLAGS=-g
    FC=/bin/f90                 # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m
    FFLAGS=-g
    CXX=/bin/CC                 # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m

    --------

    CC='/bin/cc -n32'           # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m
    CPPFLAGS=
    CFLAGS=-g
    FC='/bin/f90 -n32'          # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m
    FFLAGS=-g
    CXX='/bin/CC -n32'          # MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.2.1.1m

If you still see problems, please follow the instructions at the end
of the INSTALL file on reporting problems, and send the information
requested there to "address@hidden" so we can diagnose the
problem further.

In case it helps, I've appended the output we see from running the
"configure" script on an IRIX64 6.5 system with the second set of
environment settings above.  Invoking "make all" and "make test" after
this seems to work fine, with a warning you can safely ignore
("unrecognized pragma").

--Russ

$ uname -a
IRIX64 flip 6.5 07271714 IP30
$ export CC='/bin/cc -n32'
$ export CPPFLAGS=
$ export CFLAGS=-g
$ export FC='/bin/f90 -n32'
$ export FFLAGS=-g
$ export CXX='/bin/CC -n32'
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for m4... m4
checking user-defined C compiler "/bin/cc -n32"
checking C compiler... works
checking how to make dependencies... cc -M
checking for /bin/CC... /bin/CC -n32
checking C++ compiler "/bin/CC -n32"... works
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /bin/cc -n32 -E
checking user-defined Fortran compiler "/bin/f90 -n32"... works
checking for Fortran .F compiler...
checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... no
checking for Fortran preprocessor... /bin/cc -n32 -E
checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
checking for Fortran "byte"... no
checking for Fortran "integer*1"... yes
checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "signed char"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "short"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "int"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "long"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... yes
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... yes
checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... yes
checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... yes
checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "byte"... integer*1
checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "short"... integer*2
checking for math library
checking for -lc... no
checking for -lm... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... :
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking whether cross-compiling... no
checking for working ftruncate()... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for st_blksize in struct stat... yes
checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking for uchar... no
checking whether char is unsigned... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking size of short... 2
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 4
checking size of float... 4
checking size of double... 8
checking size of off_t... 8
checking size of size_t... 4
checking for catman... no
checking for makewhatis... no
checking for manual-page index command...
checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/irix64_6.5-mips
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating macros.make
udcreating fortran/nfconfig.inc