Re: 19981201: Trouble installing netcdf-3.4 on Linux using g77

Regis,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I successfull installed netcdf-3.4 on RS 6000 AIX 4.2.1 and now I am
> traying to install netcdf-3.4 on a Linux Red Hat 5.1
>
> I tried to put:
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> FC=/usr/bin/g77
> CXX=/usr/bin/g++
> CFLAGS=-O
> FFLAGS=-O
>
> but I have these messages.
> Please, could you tell me what I have to do to install your package on my
> Linux computer.

In order to build the netCDF Fortran interface on a Linux system, you
have to pass the "-Df2cFortran" argument to the C compiler.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            VARIABLE            VALUE
            --------            -----
            CC                  /usr/bin/gcc
            CPPFLAGS            -Df2cFortran -DNDEBUG
            CFLAGS              -O
            FC                  /usr/bin/g77
            FFLAGS              -O -Wno-globals
            CXX                 /usr/bin/g++

    4.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error
        message occurs in the output, then stop and send me the files
        "configure.log" and "config.log".

    5.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log".

    6.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "test.log" and "make.log".

    7.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "install.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the file "install.log".

    8.  Execute the command "make clean".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------