Re: help installing netCDFPerl (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:20:36 -0700
From: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
To: Mark Wilson <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: help installing netCDFPerl

Mark,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I have successfully installed netcdf 3.5a on a Sun Ultra 30 (Solaris 2.6)
> and a Intel P155 (Red Hat Linux 5.1) but have run into the same difficulty
> with both systems while installing the perl interface.  Here are the
> particulars for the Sun system:
>
> uname -a output:
>       sun -> SunOS sundog 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-30
>
> VERSIONS:
>       netcdf -> 3.5a
>       netCDFPerl -> 1.2
>       perl -> 5.004_04
>
> ./configure script output:
>       root@sundog % ./configure
>       creating cache ./config.cache
>       checking for catman... catman
>       checking for perl... perl
>       checking for perl manual page directory...
>       checking for neqn... neqn
>       checking for tbl... tbl
>       checking for cc... cc
>       checking type of operating system... sunos5
>       checking for tar flags... -chof
>       checking for netCDF header-file... -I
>       checking for netCDF library...
>       checking for package version... 1.2
>
>       ./configure: ERROR: The following variables need values:
>
>       VARIABLE     DESCRIPTION                EXAMPLE
>       --------     -------                    -------
>       PERL_MANDIR  perl manual directory      /usr/local/man
>       PERL_MANDIR  perl manual directory      /usr/local/man
>       CPP_NETCDF   netCDF header              -I/usr/local/unidata/include
>       LD_NETCDF    netCDF library             -L/usr/local/unidata/lib
> -lnetcdf
>
>       For each variable above, this script will now request that you input
>       a value appropriate for your system (note that this value will not
>       be interpolated by a shell -- so don't use shell substitutions).
>       Alternatively, you can interrupt this script, set the above variables
>       in the environment or in the file CUSTOMIZE, and then re-execute this
>       script.  (Variables referring to executable programs needn't be set if
>       the relevant directory is added to PATH.  See file INSTALL for details.)
>
>       Enter a value for the perl manual directory (e.g. "/usr/local/man"):
>       /opt/local/man
>
>       Enter a value for the perl manual directory (e.g. "/usr/local/man"):
>       /opt/local/man
>
>       Enter a value for the netCDF header (e.g.
> "-I/usr/local/unidata/include"):
>       /opt/local/include

The above won't work.  Notice that the example value has the prefix
"-I".  This is because the value is passed directly to the C compiler as
a header-file directory argument.  Because the value you gave doesn't
have a "-I" prefix, the compiler won't know what to do with it.

>       Enter a value for the netCDF library (e.g. "-L/usr/local/unidata/lib
> -lnetcdf"):
>       /opt/local/lib

This won't work for a similar reason.  The value is passed to the
linker as is and is expected to reference the netCDF library (hence the
"-L" and "-l" prefixes in the example).

> This problem occurs on both my Sun and Linux installation attempts.
> Do you have any suggestions?  I'll keep looking in the meantime.
> Thank you!

Do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level UDUNITS source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            NAME                VALUE
            ----                -----
            PERL_MANDIR         /opt/local/man
            CPP_NETCDF          -I/opt/local/include
            LD_NETCDF           -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf

        In standard shells (sh, ksh, bash), the above can be done like
        this:

            LD_NETCDF='-L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf' export LD_NETCDF

        In C-shell-like shells (csh, tcsh) the above can be done like
        this:

            setenv LD_NETCDF '-L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf'

    5.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file.

    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log".

    7.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "test.log", "make.log", and
        "configure.log".

    8.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "install.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "install.log", "test.log", "make.log",
        and "configure.log".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------