Re: 19981026: netCDF on T3D/E

>To: address@hidden
>From: Al Bourgeois <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF on T3D/E

Hi Al,

> I am still using an old (v1.something) version of netCDF on a T3D,
> simply because it works! The code I have was "hacked" to make the
> FORTRAN/C interface work, to fix the problem with different lengths of
> FORTRAN REALs and C floats on the DEC Alpha.
>
> I check on this awhile back, and couldn't get conclusive evidence that
> netCDF v3.? had solved this problem. This problem was hopefully fixed a
> long time ago, but I haven't taken the time to check it out. Can you
> give me any information about this?

We have tested the current version (3.4, available from
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z ) on a Cray T3D
(front-ended by a C90) and on a T3E.  Notes about what environment
variables to use for to specify compilers and compiler flags are in the
INSTALL file in the distribution.  In particular, it says

        'C' compiler still chokes on libsrc/putget.c
                c89 -c -O3 -I.  -DNDEBUG putget.c
                cc-7951 c89: LIMIT File = putget.c, Line = 6617
                Insufficient memory is available for compiler to continue.
        (56% of the way through the file. This is with a pragma to
        prevent inlining of odo1.)

and the workaround we've discovered is to

        Recompile manually at lower optimisation level.
        cd libsrc ; cc -c -O2 -I. -DNDEBUG putget.c

which has been added in the new INSTALL file for the version 3.5-alpha,
available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5a.tar.Z

Hope this works for you.  There are other notes about netCDF on T3D/E
platforms available when you search for keywords "t3d" or "t3e" from the
netCDF support email archive search page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html

--Russ