Re: 19981016: ?aaa temp netCDF Files

>To: address@hidden
>From: "R. Bauer" <address@hidden>
>Subject: ?aaa temp netCDF Files
>
> Dear support team!
>
> What happens is:
>
> I have a netCDF File and I am adding some parameters.
> Therefore netCDF duplicates the original File in e.g. "aaa-File" at the
> same directory
> After adding the "aaa-File" will be renamed to the original file name.
>

> What I like to know is:
> Can I determine where the "aaa-File" should be created?
> Because if I have a really fast Harddisk locally and the data is
> originally on a slow ethernet, the write access is reduced to ethernet
> speed and thats really not fast.
>
> What I like to have is:
> I like to have the control where "aaa-Files" will be created, is this
> possible?
>
> Regards
>
> Reimar Bauer
>

> --
> R.Bauer
>
> Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
> Forschungszentrum Juelich
> email: address@hidden

It sounds like you are using netcdf-2 rather than the latest sources
since netcdf-3 does the modification in place. The new version does not
make a copy of the file at all.

If you have the netcdf-2 sources, look at src/libsrc/file.c,
function NCtempname(), to see what is going on. You could
specify another directory in the code there.

However, I don't think you can do what you want
unless your system supports 'rename()' across filesystems.
See the manual page for the 'rename()' system call.

-glenn