Re: 19981006: Problems building netCDF

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: Problems building netCDF

Hi John,

> I am trying to build netCDF-3.4 on my linux box. I am running Red Hat 5.1
> (Linux 2.0.34).  When I run make I get some errors in the "Fortran" section
> of the build.  I am using gcc ver.2.8.1 and g77 ver. 0.5.23.  Thanks for
> any help you can provide.
>
> See attached files.

I couldn't find any indication of the errors you saw in the Fortran
section of the build from the files you sent.  The `make.log' file
contained no error messages:

    Making `all' in directory /home/local/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran

    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/local/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
    cc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/local/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/netcdf-3.4/src'

and the `configur.log' file indicates that the configure script
completed with no problems.  However, I see no evidence that you used
any of the recommended environment variable settings for Linux that are
specified in the INSTALL file before running the configure script.  Did
you set the environment variable CPPFLAGS to "-Df2cFortran", for
example?

If not, then try deleting the `config.cache' file, invoking `make
clean', and then starting over, specifying one of the set of environment
variables for Linux that are described in the INSTALL file.  The way you
set an environment variable differs, depending on which shell you are
using.  For sh, ksh, or bash, you can just use something like

  export CC=gcc
  export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran

but you need to use a different syntax for csh or tcsh, something like

  setenv CC gcc
  setenv CPPFLAGS -Df2cFortran

Also, if you are seeing error messages that aren't getting into the
`make.log' file, maybe you need to make sure you are redirecting both
standard error and standard output to the file `make.log'.  Again, the
way you do this depends on what shell you are using, but for sh and ksh,
it's just

  make > make.log 2>&1

for example.

--Russ