Re: 19980923: Version 3.4 & CRAY T3E

>cc: address@hidden
>From: Paul LE TEXIER <address@hidden>
>Subject: Version 3.4 & CRAY T3E

Hi Paul,

>  First thank you for your previous response (nf_max_dims...).
>
>  Now I try to install NetCDF 3.4 on a CRAY T3E (UNICOSMK 2.0.3.28).
>
>  With:
>  CC=c89 CFLAGS=-O3 FC=f90 FFLAGS="-O2 -F -dp -i64 -O ieeeconform"
> ./configure
>  make
>
>  All's right, but
>  make test, abort with "./t_nc terminated due to signal 11"
>

>  Is there a port to this version for the CRAY T3E ?

Yes, NERSC has modified netCDF for the T3E so that multiple processing
elements can actually open a netCDF dataset simultaneously and achieve
parallel access to the data.  For more information on this, see:

   http://www.nersc.gov/~rkowen/netcdf/

They suggest the following settings at http://www.nersc.gov/~rkowen/netcdf/#cc

     setenv CC       cc
     setenv CFLAGS   -O3
     setenv FC       f90
     setenv FFLAGS   '-g -F -M1110'
     setenv CXX      CC
     setenv CXXFLAGS "-h char"               # needed with this version
     setenv CXXFLAGS ""                      #RKO> the above cause warnings!?

but I'm not sure if this works with our netcdf-3.4, or whether some
NERSC T3E modifications are required.  If the above work for you, we'd
be interested in knowing that.

Remember to remove config.sys and "make clean" before rerunning the
configure script, to try the above.

I do know that the 3.4 version we distribute is not thread-safe or
multiprocessor-safe, in the sense that in a parallel environment, you
need to make sure that all the netcdf calls happen in the same thread.

--Russ