Re: netCDFPerl installation on HP-UX: binary-only perl package

Kevin,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I finally got netcdf-perl-1.2 to install.

Great!

> I don't think the problem was
> with the "bit" setting but who know's.  What I did was that I used some
> settings for the env that another person, Clark Safford from the Atlanta
> NWSFO, gave to me to try for Netcdf-3.4.
>

> CC=c89;export CC
> CCPFLAGS='-D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG'; export CCPFLAGS
> CFLAGS='-O +z'; export CFLAGS
> FC=fort77; export FC
> FFLAGS='-O3 -w'
> CXX=CC; export CXX
> --
>
> as opposed to :
>
> CC=/bin/c89;export CC
> CCPFLAGS='-D_HPUX_SOURCE; export CCPFLAGS
> CFLAGS=+z; export CFLAGS
> FC=/opt/fortran/bin/fort77; export FC
> FFLAGS=-w
> CXX=/user/bin/cc; export CXX

Bizarre!  I don't see anything in the above that would make a
difference.

> Now, I have a new problem.  I'm trying to do the same thing (which is to
> install perl, netcdf, and netcdf-perl), but on a different HP.  The perl
> was already there although it was mostly the binaries.  The version of
> perl is the same as my HP so I didn't re-install.  Also when I did a
> `chatr perl` on my HP and the 2nd HP the output was the same so I
> figured that the dynamic properties for the libraries were already set.
>
> I installed the netcdf-3.4 using the first set of env variables above.
> That seemed to go fine once I had installed the ANSI-C compiler.
>
> Then I tried the netcdf-perl-1.2.  I'm sending the list of info that is
> required under the "SUPPORT" section.   It "bombs" when I try the `make
> perl/Makefile.PL` command.  It seems to not be able to find the
> MakeMaker.pm file.  So I looked on my HP and saw in was in the perl
> directories and then looked on the 2nd HP and couldn't find them.
> Remember that perl was already there although there were difference
> between the 2nd HP's directories and my HP's directories.  So I tar'ed
> the /lib directory which contained the /ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm and ftp'ed
> it to the  2nd HP and untar'ed it in the /usr/local/perl5 directory
> which created a new /lib directory (I switch the original /lib to
> /lib.old).  Ran it again and realized that the paths the errors were
> giving all started with /opt, but in the CUSTOMIZE file I stated that
> the perl source directory was /usr/local/perl5.  So why does it say the
> everything in @INC starts with /opt?  The error also says that the @INC
> is the 2nd line in the Makefile.PL but I sure don't see any "@INC"
> anywhere.  This is strange.  So I think the problem is know how to
> change the /opt/perl to /usr/local/perl5.

I'd really like to help you but I don't know all that much about perl.
You'd be better off posting this question to a perl mailing-list or
newsgroup.

Having said that, I suspect that the perl installation on the first
system was built assuming /opt/perl as the installation directory.  When
you copied the files over, you also copied that assumption.

I could be that extension modules can't be built for perl packages that
weren't installed from source.

--------