Re: 19980701: netCDF and Fortran90 question?

Darran,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I must be overlooking something because, while I can find references
> to a slew of arguably arcane languages on your website, I can find
> no mention of using netCDF under Fortran90 (or now Fortran95).

There's quite a bit on Fortran 90 in the netCDF support email archive,
which can be found on the netCDF homepage:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

A good, previous, support email exposition on Fortran 90 can be found
by searching for the string "199804281506.JAA03747" (which is a email
thread key).  A similar group of email can be found using the string
"address@hidden".  And, of course, there's always "Fortran
90" (or "Fortran90").

> Surely there is an F90 interface for all platforms (if only wrapper
> routines that call the f77 library), no?

The bottom line is that the netCDF package doesn't explicitly support
Fortran 90 or 95.  It does support it implictly, however, because of the
backward compatibility of the language.

The reason for the lack of explicit support is because the primary
developer decided that the correct way to support Fortran 90/95 would be
to rewrite the library completely in Fortran  -- and, unfortunately, we
don't have the resources to do that.

You might try corresponding with Robert Pincus
<address@hidden>.  He might have something.

--------