Re: configure problem: building under Linux powerwessel 2.0.28

William,

In the above message, you wrote:

>       I followed your instructions and got similar results.  When you
> said I have to set the environment (for CC, FC, CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS) without
> editing any files, did you mean I just type something like CC=/usr/bin/cc
> or FC= or CXX=/usr/bin/c++ on the command line?  It doesn't really say on
> the INSTALL file and I am totally new to Linux.

You must set any, necessary, environment variables before executing the
configure script.  How you set the environment variables depends on your
shell.  In an sh(1)-like shell, you might do something like the
following:

    FC= ./configure >configure.log 2>&1

whereas, in a csh(1)-like shell, you might do the following:

    setenv FC ""
    ./configure >configure.log

> When I did "uname -a", I
> got "Linux powerwessel 2.0.28-osfmach3 #1 Thu Feb 13 12:26:38 PST 1997
> ppc".  (powerwessel is the name of the computer).  When I ran the
> configure script, even I redirected the output to configure.log, all the
> warning and error messages were in the standard output.  These messages
> are:
> configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran compiler
> configure: warning: Setting FC to the empty string
> configure: warning: The Fortran interface will not be built
> configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling

Would you please send me the entire output from executing the configure
script.

> When I did "make", "make test", and "make install", I got the same warning
> messages (make.log).  Do you think this is a configuration problem of my
> computer rather than the files themselves?

I believe that the problem you're encountering is related to the
following error messages from the file "config.log":

    configure:2084: cc -o conftest -O -DNDEBUG  conftest.c -lc   1>&5
    ld: /usr/lib/crti.o: Relocation R_PPC_LOCAL24PC is not yet supported for
symbol _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_.
    ld: /usr/lib/crti.o: Relocation R_PPC_PLTREL24 is not yet supported for
symbol __gmon_start__.
    ld: final link failed: Invalid operation

I suspect that your development environment (i.e. your compilation and
linking environment) is corrupt somehow.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Create the file "conftest.c" with the following contents:

            #line 2327 "configure"
            #include "confdefs.h"
            main(){return(0);}

        Left-justify all the above lines in the file.  The above is from
        the cross-compilation test in the configure script.

    3.  Build the above with the following command:

            cc -o conftest -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c

        If the file won't compile because of the "#include "confdefs.h"
        line, then remove that line and try again.

    4.  If the above build fails, then show the output to your system
        manager.  I'd also like to see the output.

--------