Re: 980430: netcdf/Solaris

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Mandana Khaiyer <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf/Solaris

Hi Mandy,

>       I am writing in reference to the Dec. 1997 question sent by Barry
> Schwartz concerning netCDF-3 and Solaris
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/2764).  I am experiencing a
> similar problem to that which he describes in trying to run a program
> generated by his gennet software on a Solaris operating system; i.e., my
> program generated by gennet, which worked on a SunOS system, crashes
> on my Solaris system, on a call to NCINQ with the error:
>
> *** TERMINATING  sim2
> *** Received signal 11
> POSSIBLE ATTEMPT TO MODIFY CONSTANT
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>       (where sim2 is the name of my executable). Even though your
> response indicated that Solaris should not be the problem, since my
> problem is so similar to his, I was wondering if
> anything new about the issue has been determined.   Thank you for any
> information you can provide.

Yes, Barry Schwartz's problem was solved just by getting the latest
version available at the time (netCDF version 3.3.1) which contained a
fix for a problem in the netcdf 3.3 version he had been using.  See

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/2768
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/2769
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/2770

for the correspondence about the resolution of the problem.

If you still have problems and you are using netcdf-3.3.1 or netcdf-3.4,
and can send us a small example that lets us reproduce the problem,
maybe we can help.  If it's a problem with GENNET, I'd have to refer you
to Barry Schwartz <address@hidden>.

--Russ