Re: 980430: NetCDF 3 compatiblity

>To: address@hidden
>From: Alvaro Peliz <address@hidden>
>Subject: compatiblity

Hi Alvaro,

>  I am running an application (SPEM Ocean model) that uses netCDF
> interfaces. The problem is that I have the version 3 include
> files wile functions are prepared to be linked to the older
> version. Aparently the compiler seems to to recognize the
> function names but stucks in things like NCFLOT.

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  NetCDF-3 is designed to work
with programs that used netCDF-2 interfaces, because all the older
netCDF-2 interfaces are provided with the netCDF-3 libraries.  However,
this requires recompiling the old application using the new netCDF-3
include files and libraries.  It won't work to try to link an application
that was previously compiled for netCDF-2 (using netCDF-2 include files)
with the netCDF-3 libraries, because some of the values of constants
defined in the include files have changed.

>   Is there any place were I can load the older files?
>   Do you have any other solution to this?

If you cannot recompile the SPEM ocean model using the netCDF-3 include
files ("netcdf.h" for C, "netcdf.inc" for Fortran), then you could get
the older netcdf-2.4.3 version from

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-2.4.3.tar.Z

and use it instead.  However, we may not be able to answer support
questions for the older version anymore, since the current version is
netCDF-3.4 ...

--Russ