Re: 980320: netCDF on Macintosh using MachTen

>To: address@hidden
>From: Greg Maki <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF on Macintosh using MachTen

Hi Greg,

> I'm having a problem installing the netCDF on a Macintosh using Power
> MachTen from Tenon Systems. The "make" pukes when verifying the Fortran
> compiler which is g77. I've searched the archives and haven't been able
> to find anyone that has done this. Do you know how I should set the
> variables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I assume you mean that the "configure" script finds the g77 Fortran
compiler, but then can't succeed in building a test program that it runs
successfully with it.  If this is netCDF 3.4 you're trying to build, it
just tries to compile the two-line Fortran program
                        CALL FOO
                        END
and complains if that can't be compiled.

If you don't need the Fortran interface to netCDF, you can direct the
configure script to not even look for a Fortran compiler by just setting
the environment variable "FC" to "" before invoking the configure script
(after removing config.cache, if it exists).  Then invoking make will
build and test the C and C++ libraries and ncdump and ncgen executables,
but ignore the Fortran interface.

Otherwise, we'll have to have more details about the g77 problem, since
we don't have a Macintosh/MachTen platform on which to try to diagnose
the problem.  Can you successfully compile and run a trivial Fortran
program with your g77?

Also, we might be able to diagnose the problem more easily if you
provide the information under the heading REPORTING PROBLEMS at the end
of the INSTALL file.  Thanks!

--Russ