Re: 980217: Incompatibility of netcdf 2.3.2 run on OSF3.2 41 and

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Bryan C. Weare" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 980217: Incompatibility of netcdf 2.3.2 run on OSF3.2 41 and
>netcdf 3.3.1 on OSF4.0 464

Bryan,

> I ran make test, and this worked OK, except the C++ warning, since I
> don't have this compilier.
>
> Thinking back over the installation though, I suspect that I have
> mislocated or left out something. I didn't understand where
> "configure" expected to have me put the results. I ran it in a local
> directory and then copied what I thought were the relevant pieces to
> /usr/local. I suspect this is wrong. Below is the directory structure
> of the final netcdf installation.
>
> /usr/local/netcdf
> bin      include  lib      man
>
> netcdf/bin:
> ncdump  ncgen
>
> netcdf/include:
> netcdf.h    netcdf.inc
>
> netcdf/lib:
> libnetcdf.a
>
> netcdf/man:
> man1    man3    man3f   whatis
>
> netcdf/man/man1:
> ncdump.1  ncgen.1
>
> netcdf/man/man3:
> netcdf.3   netcdf.3f
>
> netcdf/man/man3f:
> netcdf.3f

The directory structure all looks OK.  There would be an extra file in
/usr/local/netcdf/include/ and /usr/local/netcdf/lib/ if you had a C++
compiler and wanted the C++ interface, but what you have should work
fine for C and Fortran programs.

> However, I think that the actual libary link is a copy of libnetcdf.a
> in /usr/lib/
>
> Can you tell me what I did wrong or what to expect?

When you link a Fortran program with your installed library, you need to
tell the compiler where to look for the library, since it's not in any
standard place like /usr/lib/ or /usr/local/lib/.  So you need to use
something like

   f77 -o program -I/usr/local/netcdf/include program.f -L/usr/local/netcdf/lib
-lnetcdf

where "program.f" is the name of your Fortran source file and "program"
is where you want the executable.

If you don't have the -L/usr/local/netcdf/lib option to f77, it will
look in /usr/lib/ and use whatever netcdf library it finds there ...

Hope this helps.

--Russ