Re: 980217: Incompatibility of netcdf 2.3.2 run on OSF3.2 41 and netcdf 3.3.1 on OSF4.0 464

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Bryan C. Weare" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Incompatibility of netcdf 2.3.2 run on OSF3.2 41 and netcdf 3.3.1 on
>OSF4.0 464

Hi Bryan,

> I am having compatibility problems on two DEC Alpha systems.
>
> I created a file using netcdf 2.3.2 on OSF3.2 41.
>
> I am trying to read it using netcdf 3.3.1 on OSF4.0 464.
> I can do a ncdump, but cannot open a fortran with ncopen. In the latter
> case I get
> 'Segmentation fault'. This also prohibits me from opening the file to
> rewrite it in netcdf 3.3.1.

Do you mean "ncopn" rather than "ncopen"?  The latter is the name of a
function in the netcdf-2 C interface, the former is the corresponding
function in the netcdf-2 Fortran interface.  If try to call the C
function from Fortran, this could explain the segmentation fault.

> How do I get around this? If we upgrade the netcdf 2.3.2 to 3.3.1 will
> this apparent incompatibility continue?

There is no format incompatibility, because netCDF 2.3.2 and netCDF
3.3.1 use the same file format.

If you built netCDF 3.3.1 on OSF4.0, did you run the included tests?  In
particular, did the netCDF-2 Fortran compatibility tests in the
src/fortran/ directory complete successfully?  These test NCOPN and
the rest of the netcdf-2 backward compatibility interface for Fortran,
and run OK on our OSF4 system.

There should be no problem reading a netCDF file created with either the
C or Fortran netcdf-2 iterface on any other system with either the C of
Fortran netcdf-3 interface.  If you can provide more details or a small
example that demonstrates the problem, we can try to reproduce it here,
but we no longer have access to any OSF3.2 systems.

--Russ