Re: netcdf/solaris questions

Barry,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Thanks for getting back to us on this.
>

> Well, I can tell you the problem is very real on this end.
>
> Chances are it has to do with the version of the f77 compiler and solaris
> that is used here in conjunctionb with the new netCDF library.
>
> Here is the info you requested:
>
> SUN FORTRAN COMPILER: 4.2 (f77)
>                       1.2 (f90) I haven't tried compiling with this yet,
>                                  perhaps I will.
>
>                                  Solrais OS = 2.6
>
>                                   netcdf library 3.3
>                                   (my systems persion failed to give
>                                    me a second digit after .3 and when
>                                    I tried the command you recommended
>                                    it did not return anything, sorry)

We appear to be using the same OS and compilers:

    $ uname -a
    SunOS laraine.unidata.ucar.edu 5.6 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
    $ f77 -V
    f77: WorkShop Compilers 4.2 04 Mar 1997 FORTRAN 77 4.2 patch 104529-01
    Usage: f77 [ options ] files.  Use 'f77 -flags' for details
    $ f90 -V
    f90: WorkShop Compilers 4.2 10/22/96 FORTRAN 90 1.2
    Usage: f90 [ options ] files.  Use 'f90 -flags' for details
    $

There might be a problem with the version of the netCDF package,
however.  The following appears in the RELEASE_NOTES file for version
3.3.1 in describing the differences from version 3.3:

    The FORTRAN interface should now work on more systems.
    In particular:

        It should now work with FORTRAN compilers whose
        "integer*1" datatype is either a C "signed char",
        "short", or "int" and whose "integer*2" datatype is
        either a C "short" or "int".

I suggest that you try getting the latest release, building it, and
testing your program against it.  That's what I did here and it worked.
Be sure to follow the instructions in the INSTALL file -- especially the
environment variable settings for SunOS 5.6.

--------