Cray CC bug and CXXFLAGS='-h char'

Russ writes:
> This is apparently a longstanding problem due to a bug in the Cray C++
> compiler that I reported in May 1996 (I would have thought it would have
> been fixed by now).

It turns out that this is fixed as of compiler release 3:

(ouray) 29 % CC -g russ.cc
(ouray) 30 % a.out
_CRAYC _RELEASE 3
char c
signed char ó
unsigned char u

And still broken in release 2 (at gfdl...)

(t3e) 168 % CC -g russ.cc
CC-403 CC: ERROR File = russ.cc, Line = 8
  Member function function "X::f(unsigned char)" has already been declared.

      void f(unsigned char u)  {cout << "unsigned char " << u << "\n";}
           ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "russ.cc".
(t3e) 169 % CC -h char  -g russ.cc
CC-1017 CC: WARNING
  In the next major release, the "-h char" option will be removed.

(t3e) 170 % a.out
_CRAYC _RELEASE 2
char c
signed char ó
unsigned char u

(I added the lines
#ifdef _CRAYC
    cout << "_CRAYC _RELEASE " << _RELEASE << '\n';
#endif
to Russ's bug report code to print the major release number.)

-glenn