970815: netCDF installation problem on Cray J90

Colin,

In the above message, you wrote:

> We recently downloaded the most recent version of netCDF (3.3.1) and
> have experienced problems when trying to 'configure' and then 'make
> test' the program.  When configuring, errors occur when the script tries
> to run a fortran program that it makes.  It looks like:
>
> checking for cf77... cf77
> configure: warning: cf77 failed to compile test program
>
> I went through the configure file and tried compiling the small program
> myself and no errors occur. No errors occur during the 'make' but the
> 'make test' then has problems because certain #define statements were
> not included during the configuration.
>
> So my question is, why am I having this problem?  We are on a Cray J90
> and previous versions of netCDF have not given us these problems.
>
>                       Thanks for your time,
>                                       Colin
>
> PS> When replying to this message, please send it to
> address@hidden because I will not be present after
> today.  Thanks again.

I don't know why you're having a problem.  We've installed the netCDF
3.3.1 package on our Cray J90s.

In order to help me diagnose the problem, would you please follow
the instructions at the end of the INSTALL file (under the heading "IF
PROBLEMS OCCUR").  Thanks.

--------