Re: 970708: Enquiry about utilities to manipulate netCDF data

>To: in@"address@hidden"
>From: Kevin Cheung <address@hidden>
>Subject: Enquiry about utilities to manipulate netCDF data

Hi Kevin,

> We are a meterological research group in the City University of Hong
> Kong. One of my colleague recently got some NCEP reanalysis data from
> your centre. We want now to extract some of the variables in the
> datafiles for calculation. From your web pages, there should be two
> utilities (ncdump and ncgen) for extraction and generation of the
> netCDF file format. Can you show me the download location of these
> utilities ?

The ncdump and ncgen utility programs are included as part of the netCDF
software package we distribute.  The source is available as a compressed
tar file from:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

that contains instructions for building and installing it in an INSTALL
file.  Already built binary versions of the library and utilities are
also available for some platforms, from the directory

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/

Other freely-available and commercial software packages for visualizing
and manipulating netCDF data are described at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

--Russ