970707: Problems Compiling netcdf under HP-UX 10.2

Mary,

In the above message, you wrote:

>      I have recently downloaded your version netcdf-3.3.1, and have
>      problems compiling.  I am trying to compile on an HP 715/64 with 82mb
>      RAM, running HP-UX 10.2.  I have just recently upgraded the operating
>      system from 9.07, and installed both ancsi-C and fortran 77 compilers.

We don't have an HP-UX 10.2 system in-house, but I'll try to help.

>      Below is listed the command I used to try to configure netcdf, along
>      with the output.  I also tried to separately compile the problem file,
>      and have the output shown here also.
>
>      *****************************************************************
>

> delmar: 21 % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> checking for m4... (cached) m4
> checking user-defined C compiler "cc"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
> configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
> configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
> checking user-defined FORTRAN compiler "fort77"... works
> checking for FORTRAN .F compiler...
> checking if FORTRAN compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to FORTRAN routine "SUB"... sub
> checking for FORTRAN "byte"... yes
> checking for FORTRAN "integer*2"... yes
> checking if FORTRAN "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
> compile conftest.c
>
> delmar: 22 % cc conftest.c
> cc: "conftest.c", line 2: warning 5: "signed" will become a keyword.
> cc: "conftest.c", line 2: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "signed".
>

>      *******************************************************************
>

>      I don't understand how to fix this.  I am a meteorologist, and not a
>      systems person.  I have no help here in my office.
>
>      Is there a fix for the problem of defining the "char" between the C
>      compiler and the fortran compiler?
>

>      Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I've been able to duplicate this problem on our HP-UX A.09.05 system.

It appears that the "cc" C compiler is unable to handle the "signed"
keyword.  The solution is to use the "c89" C compiler instead.  Try the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
            CC=c89
            CFLAGS=-O
            FC=fort77
            FFLAGS='-O -w'
            CXX=CC

        If the C++ compiler "CC" doesn't exist, then set the "CXX"
        environment variable to the empty string.

    4.  Re-execute the configure script.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------