Re: 970703: Netcdf Upgrade

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden,
>cc: address@hidden
>From: "Suzanne M. Fortin" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Netcdf Upgrade

Hi Suzanne,

> We would like to update our version Netcdf software.  We currently are
> running version 2.3.  I was wondering if by downloading and expanding
> version 3.3 our current libraries would be overwritten?  Can the
> upgrade be expanded under a directory other than the root directory?
> Several operational applications we run are reliant on the v2.3 netcdf
> libraries and we don't want to destroy their functionality by
> upgrading.

You can uncompress the 3.3.1 source distribution from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

anywhere you want for building and testing.  By using the "--prefix"
option to the configure script described in the INSTALL document that
comes with the software, you can install the resulting library anywhere
on your system.

If you choose to use the pre-built binary distributions instead, they use
relative path names, so can also be unpacked anywhere on your file
system for testing.  They are available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/

--Russ