Re: 970616: Netcdf Version

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Matthew H. Savoie)
>Subject: quick question.

Matt,

> We've got a couple of different versions of netCDF floating around on
> our machines here.  Is there an easy way to determine the current
> version of netcdf installed?
>
> I checked the libnetcdf.a file and found an object libvers.o, but I
> can't find any information on it.

If it's version 3 or later, the function nc_inq_libvers (for C) or
NF_INQ_LIBVERS (for Fortran) returns a string identifying the version of
the netCDF library, and when it was built.

For version 2.4.3 and earlier, you can identify the version from the
contents of the source file src/VERSION.  If all you have is the
library, you may have to rely on various dates for versions of
particular library functions you can get by running the Unix "strings"
command on the library object file.  With "strings" you can find the
latest CVS ID and date on any module in the library; we can use those to
identify the exact version numbers and release dates, if necessary.

If you don't have "strings", we can identify the version by what bugs it
has, but that might be tedious :-).

--Russ