970616: MS-DOS support for netCDF

Cyril,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Making a lot of progress on the DOS/Win16 port of the NetCDF 3.3 library.
>
> I'm currently down to one error!
>
> In line 1531 of ncx.c, the #error line:
>
>       "x_size_t implementation"
>
> In DOS/Win16, size_t is defined as unsigned int which is 2 bytes.
>
> In your ncx.h file, X_SIZEOF_SIZE_T is set to 4 bytes, and the comment
> suggests that this is necessary for the implementation of the netcdf
> library.
>
> Does this mean that I can't implement the library in DOS/Win16 at all?

I think that you can build the library on a DOS/Win16 system but that
you might be limited to variable array sizes of 64 KB or less due to the
limitation of the malloc() argument being a "size_t".

The person to whom I've Cc'ed this message would know.  Unfortunately,
he's currently attending a conference.  I expect him back on June 23.

I would go ahead and try to build the package with X_SIZEOF_SIZE_T set
as is.  (The "X_" prefix in the macro name refers to the "eXternal"
representation of the given type.)

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>