970611: building using NAG f90

Steve,

In the above message, you wrote:

>       Here is the most recent (and I believe last) e-mail from NAG on this
> apparent problem. He asked me if (I assume ) fortran source code for the
> various subroutines was available and I told him ....
>

> > source code for these subroutines are not made available, just the netcdf
> > object code library file (libnetcdf.a)
>
> He replied:
>

>    Ah, you didn't tell me about that!  If their library was compiled with the
> native f77 compiler (which it most likely was) then there can easily be
> problems when you try to create an executable.  I would expect link problems
> as the runtime code for the intrinsics is not there.  While different fortran
> compilers are usually source code compatable, they are usually not object
> code compatable.  You may be running into a problem because something
> is not internally represented the way f90 expects it.
>    NAg's main products are large mathematical libraries.  However, we have
> different versions on any give platfor for each different compiler.  For
> instance, on SGI, we have separate versions for SGI f77, SGI f90, and
> NAG f90.

The problem is that the NAG f90 compiler error exits when we try to
compile the file fortran/ftest.f.  This error is independent of whether
or not we link against an f90- or f77-generated library in a subsequent
step.

Let me know what you find in compiling my previous test code.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>