Re: netCDF 3.3 on GFDL T90

> Hi Glenn-
>
> Hopefully, this is a fast question...
>
> Call me a masochist, but I wanted to make sure *I* could build netCDF
> on our T90, so I downloaded the tar file and went thru all the
> motions.  Everything went well during the build process, with the
> exception of some warnings like this:

> However, the "make test" had some problems.  The output is pretty huge,
> but here's where it all started:
>
> --------
> Making `test' in directory
/ftmp/jps/tmpdir.093168a/unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.3/src/fortran

> + f90 -c -g -i64 -dp -Wp-F -I../libsrc -DNDEBUG ftest.F
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>         f90 -o ftest -g -i64 -dp -Wp-F   ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
>         ./ftest
> NCCRE: bad flag, did you forget to include netcdf.inc?
> ncdimdef: -1 is not a valid cdfid
> ncdimdef: -1 is not a valid cdfid
> ncdimdef: -1 is not a valid cdfid
> ---------
>
> Have you actually built 3.3 on our T90 fram the "official" tar file?
>
> I'll paste my command sequence in at the bottom...maybe I'm screwing
> something up...
>
> Thanks-
> John

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the status is on that platform.
The offical release of netcdf-3 includes an "new" way of doing the
fortran calling C stuff. This has not worked on most exotic platforms,
and I've spent the last month beating on the responsible parties to get
is as rugged and portable as the C library.

The good news is that we are almost there.

I'll keep you posted.

In the interium, there should be a working version in the 'ncar' account
on t90. This uses the old m4 way of doing the fortran to C bridge, and
just has the old netcdf-2 Fortran interfaces.

-glenn