Re: 970604: Netcdf-3.3 (Digital Unix 3.2 ncx.c: value is outside range)

>To: address@hidden
>From: Joshua Jones <address@hidden>
>Subject: Netcdf-3.3
>

> Sorry about the faulty address (try address@hidden) the other
> computer network is a bit buggy.  Here is a cut and pasted version of the
> uname, Versio, make stdout & stderr, and the config.log.
> Thanks for the help
> Josh
>

> OSF1 keckms.med.yale.edu V3.2 148 alpha
> Version 3.3
> Making `all' in directory /netcdf/libsrc
>
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG dim.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG error.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=`cat ../VERSION` libvers.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG nc.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncio.c
> c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncx.c
> Stop.** Exit 1*** Exit 1*** Exit 1
> /usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/cfe: Error: ncx.c, line 1221: value is outside range
> represen
> table for type 'float'
> (-3.40282347E+38F )
>  )
>         ------------------^
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
> *** Exit 1
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:989: c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
> configure:2194: c89 -o conftest -O -DNDEBUG  conftest.c  1>&5

This is problem with compilation environment that
is fixed in later versions ... works fine on Digital UNIX 4.0.

If you can't upgrade,
try replacing the value of the constant X_FLOAT_MAX in src/libsrc/ncx.h
with the value of FLT_MAX from /usr/include/limits.h. (It should be
close to the same value.)

There may be a couple of other places where you have to do the
same thing. nc_test and nf_test try to test out to the boundary
value but don't share the private include file ncx.h.

-glenn