970324: RELEASE FOR PC PRO200 RUNNING LAHEY FORTRAN 90 UNDER WIN95 ?

Dear Dr. Dutrieux,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Dear NETCDF DEVELOPPERS,
>
> My name is Alexis DUTRIEUX. I have worked at the University Catholique
> de Louvain (Louvain-la-Neuve, BELGIUM) in the team of Professor ANDRE
> BERGER. We were using netcdf under DEC workstations and others ...
> THe OS was unix.
>
> In order to work home I have bought a PC PENTIUM PRO 200 under which
> I run WINDOWS 95.
>
> TO compile my programs (written in FORTRAN) I use LAHEY FORTRAN 90
> (LF90).
>
> I cannot find how to use my NETCDF INPUT/OUTPUT ROUTINES with this
> compiler ???
>
> Could You please help me and tell me what to do in order to be able to
> run my programs ?
>
> Thanking You in advance for Your collaboration,
>
> I remain Yours sincerely,
>
> Dr. ALEXIS DUTRIEUX.

In order to build the FORTRAN interface to the netCDF library
using LAHEY FORTRAN 90, you must have a `.m4' file in the fortran/
subdirectory (e.g. lahey.m4) which details the conventions used by a
FORTRAN routine when it calls a C function (the conventions differ
from system to system).  This file is used by the `sed' utility in
fortran/Makefile to generate appropriate FORTRAN interface code.

Because I don't have access to your environment, you will have to
determine the FORTRAN-to-C conventions for your system.  We should then
be able to generate the necessary `.m4' file and FORTRAN code.

Would you please determine the following:

    1.  What are the FORTRAN types that correspond to the following C
        types:

            char
            short
            int
            long
            float
            double

    2.  Are your C `char's signed or unsigned?

    3.  How does a FORTRAN routine pass a CHARACTER variable to a C
        routine?  A very common way is for the FORTRAN routine to add an
        extra argument for every CHARACTER variable argument.  This
        extra argument contains the length of the associated CHARACTER
        variable.

You might be able to find this information in your LAHEY FORTRAN User's
Guide.

Regards,
--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>