Re: 970321: cdf

>To: address@hidden,
>To: address@hidden
>From: "Hobbs, Chris" <address@hidden>
>Subject: cdf

Hi Chris,

>     I have been given the task of getting, learning , and using cdf on
> my 486 PC.  The operating system I am using is Windows95, but the
> powers that be are command line DOS types.  I downloaded the file
> netcdf-2.4.3.tar.z.  I have used WinZip to decompress it.  Now, I
> would like to install.  The notes you provide tell me to make a number
> of things.  The only Make.com that comes with what I downloaded looks
> to be VMS.  Your instructions said to rename this if problems occur.
> It is the only make program I have.  What should I do?  Is there
> something on the msdos directory at your ftp site that I should get?

Since you mentioned "cdf", first, be sure you really want netCDF rather
than CDF, since they are two different packages with similar purposes.
CDF is from NASA and more information is available at

   http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/cdf_home.html

The Make.com is for VMS.  For MSDOS, we assume you have a development
environment with a C compiler and a tool such as "nmake", "gmake", or
"make".  The only testing we have done for MSDOS is with the "DJGPP"
development environment that uses the GNU C compiler and a 32-bit (80386
CPU or better) environment that includes "gmake".  The DJGPP package is
freely available from

            ftp://ftp.coast.net/SimTel/vendors/djgpp/

and other sites.

Alternatively, if you don't want to get the DJGPP development
environment just for netCDF, you can use one of the pre-built libraries
(netCDF version 2.3.2) we make available for MSDOS in

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/borland/

or for Windows 95 or Windows NT in

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/win32/

We no longer have access to a 16-bit development environment for netCDF,
so we don't know if any recent versions of our software will still
compile and build without modification on such a platform.

Good luck.

--Russ