Re: 970313: NetCDF under Mklinux

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Jason Y. Li" <address@hidden>
>Subject: port netCDF under MkLinux OS?

Hi Jason,

> I have just installed MkLinux, a version of Linux that runs on Apple Power
> Macs or clones.
>
> How does MkLinux for PowerMac differ from Linux for x86?
>
> MkLinux for PowerPC is based on the same code base as Linux for x86,
> which is publically available on the Internet. In addition, MkLinux for
> PowerMac is hosted on top of the OSF-RI MK microkernel (based on Mach
> 3.0), which adds features and enhances portability.
>
> I am wondering if you have plans to support netCDF interface on
> MkLinux platforms in the future?

We don't have access to a MkLinux platform here, but we do have a
version of Linux for testing our releases, and also a PowerPC platform
running a different version of Unix (AIX).  I assume that source code
that compiles and runs OK on our Linux platform and our PowerPC platform
will also work with MkLinux.  If you discover this is not the case,
please send us bug report (to address@hidden) and we'll see if
we can diagnose the problem.

We will soon be making a beta release of netCDF-3 available, which has
been tested on Linux and 19 other platforms has many portability
improvements over previous versions.  There is an alpha release
available now, which you may want to try, at

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.3a.tar.Z

and it's described by a prerelease document at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/prerelease.html

However, the beta release will contain a different implementation of the
Fortran interface than is in the alpha prerelease.

--Russ