970227: NetCDF 2.4.3 under Windows NT 4.0

Tom,

In the above message, you wrote:

>   I'm a real novice at shell programming and trying to figure out the
> configure script's elliptical way of forming commands makes my head
> spin!

The `configure' script is auto-generated by the autoconf(1) utility.
I'm not surprised that it gives headaches.

> Nonetheless, I have been able to correct the "preprocessor
> doesn't work" failure. by putting in a ton of echo commands.  When
> the Microsoft compiler is invoked it writes its trademark and logo
> to config.out, then lists the files it is compiling, then any errors
> or warnings.  Even a clean compile puts enough text into config.out
> so that the subsequent ac_err=`grep... command finds a match and
> configure interprets it as a compile error.  After verifying a clean
> compile I forced ac_err="" and configure was happy.

There should be a compiler option to disable its banner output.  You
should add this to the CC variable.

> I have not been able to figure out the "cross compiling" error, mostly
> because I cannot figure out what command configure is execution to
> compile the test file.  An echo command just before prints ac_ext="c",
> CFLAGS= "-O", ac_compile="${CC-cc} -c $CFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext 1>&5",
> and CPPFLAGS="/EP".  "-O" is a valid Microsoft compiler option; it
> optimizes code. I can peel off the test code and put it in its own
> file and it compiles with -O fine.  Can you figure out what compiler
> command is being generated.

Not without access to a similar system.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute `make distclean'.

    3.  Set the variable CC to `CL' plus whatever option disables
        banner output.

    4.  Set the variable CPP to `CL /EP' plus whatever option disables
        banner output.

    5.  Execute the `configure script'.  Trap standard output and send
        it to me.

    6.  Send me the file `config.log'.

> Thanks for your help,
> Tom
>
> PS Some test code has #include "Confdefs.h" Cannot find this file
> anywhere.  Am getting by with an empty file for now.  Is anything
> significant supposed to be in there?

Yes.  `confdefs.h' accumulates all the C macro definitions that the
`configure' script decides are needed.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>