970219: OpenVMS

------- Forwarded Message

>To: "support" <address@hidden>
>From: "R.A. Warner" <address@hidden>
>Subject: problem solved (I think)

Dear UNIDATA folks,

I believe that I have some information that may be useful for your OpenVMS
group.

To recap I had compile problems encountered in building the mfhdf.olb library
using make.com within the NCSA's HDF system [.hdf4_0r2.mfhdf.xdr] directory,

I went to the unidata.ucar.edu site (used ip address 128.117.140.3) and got
the vms version from the following directory pub/netcdf/VMS-beta.tar.Z
This site is given in a readme. file within [.hdf4_0r2.mfhdf].
This is very similar to your [.hdf4_0r2.mfhdf.xdr] structure and the only error
that I received was a "key not found" on a ucx$rpcxdr.h file.  I wrote to Mr.
Russ Rew at address@hidden and he thought that it might be within the
NCSA's code.

We obtained a temporary license of DEC's TCP/IP product UCX.  After entering
the license and installing the product (not configured) the "new" version of
the UCAR's [...xdr] compiled!

It would appear that the unidata (...xdr) portion of HDF system is tied to the
DEC UCX product, currently we use Wollongong TCP/IP products.

I suggested that NCSA might consider incorporating parts of the
pub/netcdf/vms-beta.tar.Z structure into their HDF system, for it appears
to have coded for the alpha/VMS more than previous versions.

I hope that this is useful.

Oh, someone said that there is a mailing list that I can be added to for
UNIDATA upgrade notices, please tell me who to contact.

------- End of Forwarded Message