Re: 970207: nctest failes, suggestions?

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Kent F. Milfeld" <address@hidden>
>Subject: nctest failes, suggestions?

Hi Kent,

First, apologies for not replying to this question earlier.  We were all
out of town at a meeting last week and came back to a large backlog of
support questions ...

>    On our Cray J90 the test section of the Make (make test) keeps failing
> when I try different compilers (CC=cc, CC=g89).  It appears that nccreate
> makes a file, with the contents "CDF^A" , and then bombs when it tries to
> open it.  Here is the error information:
>
> c89 -o nctest -O varget.o vargetg.o varput.o varputg.o vardef.o \
>                  vartests.o vputget.o vputgetg.o driver.o cdftests.o \
>                  dimtests.o rec.o atttests.o misctest.o add.o error.o \
>                  emalloc.o val.o slabs.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a \
>       ./nctest
> Error Explanation:Make: "./nctest" terminated due to signal 11 (core dumped)
> cmd-2436 make: Stop.

I'm forwarding your message to Steve Emmerson, who has successfully
built and tested netCDF 2.4.3 on NCAR's J90.  He'll be looking at it in
the next day or two, to see if we can duplicate the problem here or see
what's wrong.

> PS  About two weeks ago I send in a problem report for the CC++ interface,
>     but did not get a reply.  On our Cray J90 the CC++ make choked on
>     two constructors which used, (I believe) char and unsigned char.  I
>     think I found a fix with the "-h char" option on the Cray CC compiler.
>     I'll try it after I get finished installing the C and Fortran interfaces
>     (I turned the CC compilations off.)

I've appended a copy of the reply I sent on Tuesday, 21 January, to the
address

   "Kent F. Milfeld" <address@hidden>

I'm sorry if you didn't get it, but we never received a "bounce" message
or any other indication that the mail failed.

Please let me know if you don't get this one :-).

--Russ