Re: 970120: Problem report: netcdf-3.3a

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Steve Emmerson wrote:

> Odd.  As far as I can tell from looking at the top-level Makefile and
> ncgen/Makefile in the distribution, support for ignoring the FORTRAN
> interface (via an empty FC variable) is already there.
>
> Harvey, doesn't it work?

Checking again, 'make' & 'make install' do work.  And there is no need to
specify FC='' to configure if there is no fortran on the system.

I must have done something weird (and/or was less than fully sane)
yesterday!!  My apologies!!

But, nevertheless
make test
attempts
make fortran/test
&
make ncgen/test
both of which do fail without fortran.

You also wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't see the problem.  The default installation prefix
> was *designed* to be the absolute pathname equivalent to `..' relative
> to the top-level source directory.  This is the standard way to
> install a "package".  The installation prefix can be overridden via
> the `-prefix=<path>' option of the configure script.  I checked the
> distributed configure script for this feature and it worked.

I was merely asking for clearer instructions in INSTALL file.  All the current
version says is:

> Decide on where you might want to install the library.
> This will be used as the --prefix= argument to
> the configure script below.
>
> Run configure in the src directory. (The src directory is
> location of this INSTALL file in the distribution.)
> % ./configure -prefix=_whatever_you_decided

There is no mention of what happens by default.  The INSTALL file for udunits
is better:

> By default, `make install' will install the package's files in ../bin,
> ../lib, ../man, etc., relative to the directory containing this file.

although it then states

> You can specify an installation prefix other than /usr/local by giving

which I think should be

> You can specify an installation prefix other than ../.. by giving

I made the mistake of specifying
-prefix=..
when it should have been
-prefix=../..

So I suggest something along the lines of:

> The default installation prefix is '../..', which will install the package's
> files in ../bin, ../lib, ../man, etc., relative to the directory containing
> this INSTALL file.

Cheers from Melbourne where we have been experiencing temperatures up to
43C, leading to bushfires in surrounding areas with several deaths & about
40 houses destroyed! I'm glad to live only 50 metres from sea!
Today was a lot cooler & it rained, so the danger is over.

Harvey

Harvey Davies, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences,
723 Swanston Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Email: address@hidden
Phone: +61 3 9282 2623 or +61 3 9239 4556
  Fax: +61 3 9282 2600