Re: 970121: Cray J90 CC compiler error

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Kent F. Milfeld" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Cray J90 CC compiler error

Hi Kent,

>    A user asked that we install netcdf on our system, a Cray J90 running
> UNICOS 9.0.2.                  (netcdf version 2.4.3)
>
>    I used the defaults for configuring the makefiles.  The C and FORTRAN
> libraries, as well as ncgen and nctest compiled fine.  However, the
> C++ code gave quite a few errors, which look like they are due to one single
>  type of occurrence.  The errors occur in  netcdf.hh.
>   (Please forgive my ignorance of C++; I am a FORTRAN "person".)
>
> The errors appear to occur when "char" and "ncbyte" are used in successive
> constructors.  The compiler believes that the constructors are identical,
> and reports an error when ncbyte is used after char, or vice versa.
> For example, the first error occurs for these two lines:
>
>     NcBool add_att( NcToken attname, char );             // scalar attributes
>     NcBool add_att( NcToken attname, ncbyte );
>
> with the message:
> CC-403 CC: ERROR File = netcdf.hh, Line = 76
>   Member function function "NcFile::add_att" has already been declared.
>
> Other errors related to the use of char and ncbyte occur throughout the code.
> Below is a copy of the makefile and the make.log.  If you have a workaround
> or fix, could you please advise.

We discuss a fix in our document "Known Problems with the netCDF
Distribution", although this problem is really a Cray C++ compiler bug.
The workaround description is at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html#cray-cxx

and a previous message/reply that gives more details about the problem
and workaround, in case you're interested, is available at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/2009

> Also, config.log showed a couple of errors in conftest.c, I have
> included them at the end.  Any suggestions?

Errors in config.log may be ignored, since they are merely side-effects
of the "configure" script trying to determine the correct configuration
by compiling various test programs and noting compiler/linker errors.