961217: netCDF Build failure - thinks I'm cross-compiling

Steve,

In the above message you wrote:

> I'm trying to build netCDF as part of some work we are doing at the
> GCMD in support of the DODS system.
>
> I'm building on and SGI Indy, running Irix 5.3.
>
> Configure fails.  Here's what happens:
>

> /disk3/people/mddevel/netcdf-2.4.3/src> ./configure
> checking for catman... no
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /disk3/people/mddevel/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /disk3/people/mddevel/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking for C compiler... cc
> checking type of operating system... irix5
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... no
> checking for cf77... no
> checking for CC... CC
> checking for yacc... yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -M
> checking for C position-independent-code compile-option...
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while
> cross compiling
>

> Can you tell my why configure thinks I'm cross-compiling

If the configure script can't compile-and-link a simple program, then it
figures that it's cross-compiling.  The thing to check is the file
`config.log'.  There should be an entry in it from the C compiler or
operating system indicating a *major* failure (e.g. the compiler can't
be invoked).

> and what I
> should do to make it work?

That will depend on the specifics of the major problem with the
compiler.

> Presumably, others have built under Irix 5.3...

Yes.  So we know it can be done.

Let me know what you find in `config.log'.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>