Re: 961211: Problems install netcdf

>To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
>From: "Paul Kucera" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problems install netcdf

Paul,

> >You can either find out what's needed to get the c++ compiler to compile
> >and link the above program first, or just disable the compilation and
> >testing of the netCDF C++ interface by setting
> >
> >CXX=""
> >
> >in your CUSTOMIZE file before invoking the configure script.
> >
> >(Our configure script should probably be made smarter, to make sure that
> >that if there is a C++ compiler, it can successfully compile and link a
> >trivial C++ program.)
>
> I made the following changes to my CUSTOMIZE file and re-compiled netcdf.  I
> didn't receive any errors this time, buy when I ran make test I received the
> following errors:
>
> making `test' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr'
> gcc -o xdrtest -fpic -O xdrtest.o
> ld: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1/2.4.5/libgcc.a(__.SYMDEF): no of
> reloc used 30 != no alloc 28
> collect: ld returned 4 exit status
> make[1]: *** [xdrtest] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr'
> make: *** [xdr/test] Error 1
>
> I was thinking that this error was caused by turning off the C++
> interface when compiling netcdf.  Is this true?

No, I think it may be an artifact of not running "make clean" first.

Try this:

  1. From the top-level netcdf/src/ directory, run

        make clean

  2. To prevent the configure script from using old cached information,
     run

        rm config.cache

  3. Rerun the "configure" script with whatever other arguments you used
     before (e.g. --prefix=...).  It should use your changed CUSTOMIZE
     file and generate Makefiles that won't try to make the C++
     interface.

  4. Run "make all", "make test", and if that works "make install".

Please let us know if this doesn't work at address@hidden.

--Russ