Re: 961211: Problems install netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Paul Kucera" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Problems install netcdf

Hi Paul,

> Below is the information that you requested for support problem
> solving.  Your help will really be appreciated.
>
> Paul
>
> uname -a
> SunOS boss.wff. 4.1.3 1 sun4m

  [environment variables that look fine]

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/port
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/libsrc'
> gcc -c -fpic -O -DNO_STRERROR array.c
  [everything compiles fine with gcc until we get into the C++ interface]

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/cxx
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/cxx'
> c++ -c  -I../libsrc   netcdf.cc
> In file included from netcdf.hh:16, from netcdf.cc:12:
> ncvalues.hh:13: generic.h: No such file or directory
> ncvalues.hh:14: iostream.h: No such file or directory
> ncvalues.hh:18: strstream.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [netcdf.o] Error 1

The configure script found "c++" as the name for your C++ compiler, so
it set up things to try to build and test the C++ interface.

But c++ is unable to locate some standard include files that should be
installed with any C++ compilation system.  From the above, the c++
compiler probably won't even be able to compile the following 2-line
program:

#include <iostream.h>
main() {cout << "Hello, world\n"; }

You can either find out what's needed to get the c++ compiler to compile
and link the above program first, or just disable the compilation and
testing of the netCDF C++ interface by setting

CXX=""

in your CUSTOMIZE file before invoking the configure script.

(Our configure script should probably be made smarter, to make sure that
that if there is a C++ compiler, it can successfully compile and link a
trivial C++ program.)

If this doesn't solve the problem, please let us know.