Re: 961119: Printing NetCDF Users Guide

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Anthony Bucholtz)
>Subject: problem printing netcdf user's guide

Hi Anthony,

> I recently downloaded 'guide.ps' the postscript version of the
> NetCDF User's Guide (Version 2.4), and attempted to print it out on
> my printer.  The file printed out fine but incompletely.  It only
> printed up to page 112.  I did not receive any error messages and I
> did not run out of paper in the printer.  A second attempt again only
> printed out to page 112.
>
> Can anyone tell me why I cannot print out the entire NetCDF User's
> Guide?

I can't duplicate the problem here.  This sounds like your system is
configured such that the size of Postscript documents it can print is
limited (perhaps because of limited memory on the printer or limited
disk space in the printer spooling directory).  I've printed a copy of
the manual from the uncompressed guide.ps.Z on our FTP server, and all
168 pages print.  I've also looked at the document with "pageview",
Sun's Postscript viewer, and it shows all the pages.

I'm not sure what platform you're using, but if you have a Postscript
viewer such as pageview, you can use it to print individual pages, if
you can view them.  Also, Sun provides a utility called "postreverse"
that permits printing page ranges in a postscript document, e.g.

    % /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postreverse -r -o110-168 guide.ps > guide-end.ps

would create a file "guide-end.ps" that contained only the last 59
pages, and then you could print that.