Re: netcdf installation

> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:21:42 +0100 (WET-DST)
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: netcdf installation

Hi Fabio,

> I'm an Italian student using your netcdf library.
> support. First of all: can you repeat me where I have to connect myself
> if I want to download NETcdf 2.4.2 via FTP? Unfortunately, I don't have
> the exact address.

Source distributions are available via anonymous FTP from the directory

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/

or from the European mirror site at

    ftp://ftp.dfd.dlr.de/pub/ucar/netCDF/

Files in that directory include:

    netcdf.tar.Z
        A compressed tar file of source code for the latest general
        release, version 2.4.3, August 1996.

This and other information about netCDF is available from the netCDF
Frequently Asked Questions list at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

> More, I think I'll have some problem during the installation, because
> I had some troubles with a different software. So I'll tell you all
> I need to work with an ALPHA 300L computer, using OPEN VMS ALPHA 6.2
> The fortran compiler installed is FORTRAN 90 V.2.0-1 and the C com_
> piler is C V5.2
>
> procedure I must follow? Thanks.

The current release of netCDF has been built and tested on a Digital
MicroVAX running OpenVMS-6.2 (except the C++ interface was not tested).

Unfortunately we have no access to a Digital Alpha running OpenVMS, and
have had no reports of success building the latest release of netCDF on
that platform.  If you succeed, we would be interested in knowing about
any changes that were required.

--Russ