Re: 960605: need help

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Mary Schoen Petersen)
>Subject: need help

Hi Mary,

> I'm trying to install netcdf 2.4.2 on a Sun Sparcstation 10, running
> SunOS 4.1.4.  We have Sun's new (newest?) compilers SC3.0.1.  I
> get some warnings when trying to compile, and then the whole process
> bombs.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I've just tried building netcdf 2.4.2 on a SunOS 4.1.4 system using the
SC3.0.1 compilers, and it seemed to work fine, with no messages and no
errors, so I can't seem to duplicate the problem.  Also, I'm not sure what
the "c++" compiler is that you are using, since our system uses "CC" to
comile the C++ interface and tests.  Are you able to successfully compile
and link other C++ programs with it?  If not, you may want to specify to
configure not to build the C++ interface until that problem is solved.

> making `all' in directory /home2/sundog/local/src/netcdf-2.4.2/src/port
>

> returning to directory /home2/sundog/local/src/netcdf-2.4.2/src
>

> making `all' in directory /home2/sundog/local/src/netcdf-2.4.2/src/xdr
>

> returning to directory /home2/sundog/local/src/netcdf-2.4.2/src
>

> making `all' in directory /home2/sundog/local/src/netcdf-2.4.2/src/libsrc
>
> acc -c -O  array.c
> acc -c -O  attr.c
> acc -c -O  cdf.c
> acc -c -O  dim.c
> acc -c -O  file.c
> acc -c -O  iarray.c
> acc -c -O  error.c
> acc -c -O  globdef.c
> acc -c -O  putget.c
> "putget.c", line 354: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
>       prototype: pointer to char :
> "/usr/lang/SC3.0.1/include/cc_413/string.h", line 21
>       argument : pointer to uchar

We don't get this message (or any of the other similar messages), so I
suspect there is something different about the compiler setup.  Could you
please do the following?

 - Run "rm config.cache" from the top-level netcdf src/ directory.
 - Run the configure script again, and send us all the output.

Thanks!

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu