Re: netCDF Installation

Glen,

>       First, thanks for your prompt feed back on this installation issue.
>      I am currently installing this software product on an SGI IRIX 5.3
>      system.

When we install netCDF 2.4.2 on an IRIX 5.3 system, it seems to work fine,
so I think the problem may be something file-specific with the netCDF file
you are trying to use ncdump on.  Can you make it available to us by FTP or
by some other means, so we could try to reproduce the error here?  Also, do
you have ncdump built for another platform that you could try on the same
file, to help determine whether the problem is with ncdump in general or
just ncdump under IRIX 5.3?

>      The following installation procedures as specified in the
>      INSTALLATION readme file were performed:
>
>      1.)  Create the makefiles via the `configure' script.
>           1.1  configure
>
>           1.2  setenv CXX ""
>                setenv CXXCPPFLAGS ""
>                setenv CXXFLAGS ""
>
>           1.4  configure
>                setenv CC /usr/bin/cc
>                setenv CPPFLAGS ""
>
>           1.5  configure.log

config.log is expected to contain error messages, as configure must
generate some programs that fail in order to determine characteristics of
the platfrom on which it is running.  The output of running the configure
script is more useful.

>      2.)  Make "all".
>
>           % make all
>

>      3.)  Make "test".
>
>           % make test

Did running "make test" reveal any problems, or did all tests succeed?
In particular, did the ncdump test succeed?

Running tests in individual directories after "make test" from the
top-level directory is generally not necessary, as the top-level "make
test" runs all the subdirectory tests.

>       After the above steps where completed, I then went to the test
>      directory xdr and ran the executable "xdrtest" and produced the
>      following output:
>
>       When I go to the local ncdump directory and execute the ncdump command
>      "ncdump 961361500q.cdf" I still get a core dump error.

We'll have to get a copy of the file to debug the problem further.  If you
can't make it available via FTP, I'll see what else we can arrange.

>       After receiving Email from FSL, the source of this 961361500q.cdf,
>      they told me that the file was created by version 2.4.1.  Could it be
>      that this version is not compatible with the 2.4.2?  Also, it looks
>      like I am using version 2.9 of the autoconf.

No there is no file format incompatibility between versions.  NetCDF files
have used the same format since 1988.

Also, the version of autoconf is not an issue, since the configure script
we send out with the distribution is already generated by autoconf, so you
don't need any version of autoconf to install the package.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu