Re: rmicdf expiration

> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:35:16 GMT
> From: address@hidden (Tom Glaess)
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: rmicdf expiration

Hi Tom,

>       Sorry to bother you again with the rmicdf stuff.
>       When I got back to working with it today, I got the following message:
>
>       IDL/RMI runtime warning: alpha.1 free trial will expire on October 1st
> You need to obtain a new copy of the IDL/RMI runtimes
>
>       Do you know what this means and what I can do about it? We
> weren't planning on using this version for anything real, but it has
> been working for me well enough until your new version comes out. I
> assume there isn't another version out there, so is there a way I can
> trick the thing into thinking I have more time?

Yes, it turns out that there were significant changes between RMI alpha1
and RMI alpha2.  I converted Sirrot's rmicdf package to work under RMI
alpha2, but in doing so made the performance abysmal.  I haven't had a
chance to go back and investigate the problem that's causing the
bottleneck yet.

If you are just using the "netcdf" package but not the "rmicdf"
client/server, I think that is independent of RMI, and the expiration of
the RMI alpha should not be a problem as long as you make sure you're
not inadvertently including part of the rmicdf package that you're not
really using.

I won't be able to look at this in any more detail this week, but I've
appended a note from JavaSoft including an RMI road map.

--Russ